Altipress inner liner stockings
Altipress® is available as a Leg Ulcer Hosiery Kit or as Hosiery Liner Packs. It is manufactured in our UK based factory.
Altipress 40 Leg Ulcer Kit
The Altipress 40® Leg Ulcer Hosiery Kit offers a practical and discreet alternative to bulky bandage systems. The kit consists of two stockings that are worn on top of each other. The first layer is a liner offering 10mmHg and the second layer is a British Standard Class III stocking. Together, they provide the 40mmHg pressure at the ankle required for leg ulcer healing.
Each kit contains:
- 2 x Altipress® White inner stockings (10 mmHg)
- 1 x Altipress® Soft Beige outer stocking (30 mmHg)
Altipress® Liner Packs
Liner packs provide 10mmHg and are often used for palliative care, maintenance therapy and for those intolerant to higher levels of compression. They can also be layered to provide higher levels of compression (e.g. 2 liners provides 20mmHg) or worn under other compression stockings.
Each liner pack contains:
- 3 x Altipress® inner liner stockings (available in white and soft beige)
Altipress® is latex free.
Measuring and Fitting Guide
Click here for a larger version.
Altipress® stockings provide graduated compression. This means that the compression is higher at the ankle and gradually reduces up the leg. Graduated compression stockings gently squeeze the legs to improve blood flow. The aim of the stockings is to counteract the raised pressure in the leg veins.
Altipress® stockings provide the compression required to support the valves and veins and help improve the blood flow up the legs, which helps the leg ulcer to heal.
Altipress 40 is not suitable for everyone with a leg ulcer and you may need to wear bandages. You should speak to your Healthcare Practitioner if you have any questions or concerns.
You will see that the kit you have been given has two parts – a liner and a top stocking. You have two liners in your kit so you can wear one while the other is being washed. The liner goes on first, followed by the top stocking.
It is important that you wear your Altipress® stockings every day, or as you have been advised by your healthcare professional.
Caring for your Altipress stockings
Avoid damage to your stockings by smoothing rough edges from finger and toe nails and removing jewellery when putting them on or taking them off. We also advise that you wear footwear whenever possible to help prevent excessive wear on your stockings.
Altipress® stockings are designed to last for a minimum of 3 months if cared for correctly. Single Patient use.
Altipress® stockings should be hand washed at 40°C and should be left to dry flat away from direct heat.
Do not iron, tumble-dry, dry clean or bleach your Altipress stockings.
Disposal: Product – non-recyclable due to material composition; Bag – non-recyclable plastic; IFU – Paper, recyclable; Out carton and case – Paper/card, recyclable.
If you have any questions about using or caring for your hosiery, please contact your Healthcare Practitioner.
Method of Use
Method of Use
How to apply Altipress®
Altipress® stockings are designed to provide the optimum fit, compression, and comfort when applied correctly according to the recommended application guidelines.
How to apply your Altipress® Liner:
- Slide your hand into the stocking until you reach the heel pocket.
- Pinch the heel and pull the stocking gently inside out.
- Fold back 2cm of stocking at the opening of the foot until your heel fits snugly into the elasticated pocket making sure that your toes are not restricted.
- Work the stocking up your leg in small sections, starting with the ankle and avoid forcing the stocking wherever possible.
- The stocking should be pulled up to the bend at the rear of your knee. Any excess fabric should be smoothed back into the stocking, do not roll or fold back the excess. If in doubt consult your healthcare professional.
- With all hosiery always make sure that your toes are not restricted when wearing the stockings.
If you have an Altipress 40® kit, apply your British Standard Class III outer stocking once the Altipress® Liner is positioned correctly on the limb, following the steps above.
Only one Liner and one British Standard Class III outer stocking should be worn on the same leg at any one time.
If you have any concerns about the use of compression hosiery, or if your legs become itchy, painful or hot, the stockings feel too tight or you lose sensation in your toes, or you notice colour changes to your skin consult your healthcare professional immediately for advice.
Altipress 40® Leg Ulcer Hosiery Kit provides the 40mmHg at the ankle required for healing venous leg ulcers. It is suitable for patients with regular shaped limbs and low exuding ulcers. It is also suitable for post-VLU treatment to help prevent recurrence.
Each kit includes two liners and one top stocking. One liner and the top stocking are worn together to provide the 40mmHg. Additional liners are available in a Liner Pack.
Altipress 40® is particularly suitable for people who need to stay on the move because it is discreet and comfortable and patients can continue to wear their regular footwear.
The kit has guaranteed compression levels ‘built in’ to the hosiery. Where appropriate, it can be applied by patients themselves, offering a level of independence.
The flexibility, practicality and comfort of Altipress 40 also encourages compliance and mobility which helps the healing process and improves patient morale.
- Treatment and management of venous leg ulcers
- Prevention of VLU recurrence
- Patients not suitable for or tolerant of compression bandages
- Peripheral Vascular Disease (PVD), confirmed with an ABPI (Doppler) reading of less than 0.8
- Accute or unstable Heart Failure
- Ischaemic Heart Disease (IHD), also called Coronary Artery Disease
- Untreated Cellulitis or Phlebitis of the Lower Limb
Proceed with caution in those patients who have:
- Rheumatoid Arthritis
- Heavily exuding or large wounds
- Irregular shaped limb
These patients may require referral to a specialist for advice and additional assessment. Close supervision may be necessary in line with local policies/pathways.